Fun in the Rising Sun

Conichiwa my dear friends!
Throughout the coming month I will be blogging my way around the weird and wonderful "Land of the Rising Sun", Japan; home of Sushi, Soba, Wasabi, Karate, Judo, Sumo, Honda, Toshiba, Yamaha, the Japanese Spitz, Manga, Geishas, Kamikazi and Hari-Kiri - the list goes on. Oh, and incidentally the birthplace of my friend Hiromasa Sebata, but he's not famous.
Anyway, keep up to date with my adventures right here at "AVY IN JAPAN".
Banzaaaaaaaaaaiiiii!

Friday, May 28, 2010

The Ainu

My followers! While i'm waiting for my latest disposible camera photos to develop so that i can tell what i've been doing recently, I feel it's only right to write a blog about the "Ainu" people, the indiginous people of Japan who were here before the Yayoi people (ancient Japanese) arrived around 400 BC.

The Ainu , moved further north when the Japanese started to settle the land and were mainly situated in northern Japan, in particular in Hokkaido, the northernmost island, where I spent some time a couple of weeks ago.

Few remain today, as they are mostly mixed with the Japanese population, but i was lucky enough to come across a very different looking fellow when I was taking a stroll early one morning in Kushiro National Park in Hokkaido. He was clearly a guide and was giving a young man a nature tour. I subtley took a couple of photos and later checked with the hostal landlady wheather he was indeed an Ainu, which she confirmed as he was apparently one of her neighbours.

I didn't find out as much as I would have liked about the Ainu; I managed to visit an Ainu museum on one occasion, but at least I had a close encounter with an Ainu fellow. He's the one that looks like the Malboro Man in the photos. Click on the images and enlarge to see the difference more clearly.


No comments:

Post a Comment