Fun in the Rising Sun

Conichiwa my dear friends!
Throughout the coming month I will be blogging my way around the weird and wonderful "Land of the Rising Sun", Japan; home of Sushi, Soba, Wasabi, Karate, Judo, Sumo, Honda, Toshiba, Yamaha, the Japanese Spitz, Manga, Geishas, Kamikazi and Hari-Kiri - the list goes on. Oh, and incidentally the birthplace of my friend Hiromasa Sebata, but he's not famous.
Anyway, keep up to date with my adventures right here at "AVY IN JAPAN".
Banzaaaaaaaaaaiiiii!

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Lakes, Volcanoes and deep-fried what???

Greetings my followers. It seems like we have a little catching up to do. The reason you haven't heard from me for a couple of days is because I'm been in remote places without internet.

Anyway, a couple of days back I made it to Akan National Park in the heart of Hokkaido. As I arrived there at noon, and discovered that all the sites were kilometers away rather than metres away from where I was staying I had no choice but so rent a bike. Luckily there was free rental at the tourist information office; I love getting things for free!

After swapping my first bike because the seat was too low and I couldn't adjust it (it had rusted into the perfect position for the average Japanese), I peddled off to discover the wonders of nature. I named my ride Yoshi (from Super Mario bros fame) because it's suspension squeeked whenever I went over a bump. My first destination was Lake Kussharo. Here are the highlights:


After biking it back to town (the 16 Km round trip definatlely helped burn off all that rice I'd been eating), there was enough time before i had to return the bike to see the other major site in the area - Mount Io-zan, an active volcano; this would be a first for me. As I cycled the 3 km towards the mountain I could see gas rising in the distance.

As I approached, the smell of Sulphur in the air became stronger and stronger. I parked Yoshi and walked a hundred or so metres to the base of the mountain where all the volcanic activity was taking place. I could see numerous small mounds of sulphur-covered rock with gas streaming out at a tremendous pace; the smell was intoxicating, and i thought my sister's farts were bad (sorry Marg). Experiences like this make you feel very small and you realise the power of nature; it felt like a time-bomb was waiting to explode beneath my feet.


I had seen enough of Hokkaido, so the next day I set out early to cover as much distance as I could towards the main Island, Honshu. This involved catching a bus and three trains. After a long day of train hopping I made in back to Hakodate, my first port-of-call when I arrived in Hokkaido. After checking in to a hostel near the train station and went out for a bite to eat. I ate soup-curry, yet another delicious Japanese dish. When I finished I felt like something sweet so I scanned the menu for the desserts; as I was doing so I noticed this:


Yes friends it says what you think it says: "deep-friend cock"! I paid up and got the hell out of there before I ended up on the next day's menu.

2 comments:

  1. By the looks of it, they even specified the cock's length (15 cm)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha

    I didn't notice that.
    good one!

    ReplyDelete