Fun in the Rising Sun

Conichiwa my dear friends!
Throughout the coming month I will be blogging my way around the weird and wonderful "Land of the Rising Sun", Japan; home of Sushi, Soba, Wasabi, Karate, Judo, Sumo, Honda, Toshiba, Yamaha, the Japanese Spitz, Manga, Geishas, Kamikazi and Hari-Kiri - the list goes on. Oh, and incidentally the birthplace of my friend Hiromasa Sebata, but he's not famous.
Anyway, keep up to date with my adventures right here at "AVY IN JAPAN".
Banzaaaaaaaaaaiiiii!

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Does my bum look big in this?

Good, cos it's supposed to; the bigger the better!

Yes it's Sumo my followers; one of the only sports in the world, alongside darts, in which fat blokes are considered sportsmen and excessive eating is part of the training. And whereas one would normally consider Japan one of the "smaller arsed" nations of the world, ironically it has some of the largest arses also, thanks to the over-developed gluteus muscles of these boys. But there's a very good reason for it; the more power these fellows pack in their behinds, the better chance they have of staying in the ring when their opponent is trying to push them out. Here's a few more gratuitous action shots of Sumo buns.



3 comments:

  1. haha, think i'll stick to basketball....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yonatan, you disappoint me.
    I thought you were an all-round sportsman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great write up av. I'm chuckling over here

    ReplyDelete