Fun in the Rising Sun

Conichiwa my dear friends!
Throughout the coming month I will be blogging my way around the weird and wonderful "Land of the Rising Sun", Japan; home of Sushi, Soba, Wasabi, Karate, Judo, Sumo, Honda, Toshiba, Yamaha, the Japanese Spitz, Manga, Geishas, Kamikazi and Hari-Kiri - the list goes on. Oh, and incidentally the birthplace of my friend Hiromasa Sebata, but he's not famous.
Anyway, keep up to date with my adventures right here at "AVY IN JAPAN".
Banzaaaaaaaaaaiiiii!

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Tokyo Nightlife


There I was, back in Tokyo after my advertures up North, sitting in the living room of my latest hostel, K's House, when i overheard one of my fellow travellers mention that she was going to do Karaoke with her friends that night. Of course, Karaoke was on my list of things to do while in Japan, so I plucked up the courage to the very un-English thing of gate-crashing someone else's party by asking a complete stranger if I could join them. Her name was Crysler (yeah, like the car i suppose) and she was Canadian. To my surprise she very readily agreed; i was expecting hestitation because of the Karaoke embarassment factor for some people, but obviously not her. So off we went, the four of us, to one of the nearby Karaoke clubs.

We paid for a room for an hour with unlimited drinks - the rates are quite steep as you pay per person, not per room which I found strange, as the more people you have, the less you sing. Anyway, the room contained the Karoke machine with a screen and 2 microphones, disco lights which project all sorts of colorful images on the walls, and a phone to order more drinks whenever you need a top-up. We worked out how to work the machine, ordered some drinks and got the show on the road; we were all remarkable comfortable about making complete fools of ourselves in front of each other. The highlight of the evening was most definately my camp rendition of Madonna's "Material Girl". My followers, as your representative in Japan, I did you all proud. Avy in Japan always delivers the goods.





Two beers and a Sake later, the hour was over and just when we were really getting into it. When we returned to the Hostel, the reception area was full of travellers about to go out to "Air" the "best club in Asia" apparently. A couple of brits informed me of this and asked me to join at which point I agreed without hesitation; the show must go on! A group of about 15 of us set out to Shibuya, an area of Tokyo with a happening night life; a mixture of Aussies, Brits, Americans, and an adopted Israeli, your's truely. It seems liked nobody knew where the hell we where going, but while the others were trying to find our bearings at the Shibuya train station, I collected evidence of just how much the Japanese like their beer.


We finally found the club about 40 minutes later after asking numerous locals along the way; finally one lead us to the door. The Club was smokey and down in the basement, as clubs are. Now i'm not much of a clubber but it was a fun place with good music. Although i doubt it the "best club in Asia", I have no evidence to refute this claim as it's the only club in Asia i've been to. Here are a few drunken, smokey pics.


At 5 in the morning, I stumbled out of the club and caught the first train back to the hostel. I had a shower, packed and set out for Mount Fuji.

6 comments:

  1. Oh man, you are the best!
    I say no more poker nights, bring on the Karaoke machine!!
    You'll do the Madonna stuff, I'll do Kylie's.
    Except for "I Should Be So Lucky" which is saved for Joch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shirley,

    I'm glad you appriciate my musical talents. It was so much fun. You're on! I'm up for Karaoke nights. I'm actually surprised somebody hasn't brought Karaoke clubs to Israel; Israelis like a good song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's your gap in the market Av! When you go back to Israel start up a Karaoke bar

    ReplyDelete
  4. there is definately. It's a good idea!

    ReplyDelete