Fun in the Rising Sun

Conichiwa my dear friends!
Throughout the coming month I will be blogging my way around the weird and wonderful "Land of the Rising Sun", Japan; home of Sushi, Soba, Wasabi, Karate, Judo, Sumo, Honda, Toshiba, Yamaha, the Japanese Spitz, Manga, Geishas, Kamikazi and Hari-Kiri - the list goes on. Oh, and incidentally the birthplace of my friend Hiromasa Sebata, but he's not famous.
Anyway, keep up to date with my adventures right here at "AVY IN JAPAN".
Banzaaaaaaaaaaiiiii!

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Takayama - Japanese Tradition and Beef


Yesterday, in an attempt to discover the Japan of old, I ventured to Takayama, a town in central Japan in a region called the Hida-District. Admitadly my motives for travelling to there did in fact h ave a culinary aspect to them. Hida is one of the regions in Japan famous for high-grade beef, made famous by Kobe, but not exclusively produced there as I discovered to my delight yesterday.

But before we go into that, Takayama offered a side of Japan I had not seen before; beautifully preserved traditional Japanese buildings, both urban and rural in style. The center of Takayama contained an area of urban "Tatami" style shops and houses with straw mats, sliding doors and low tables.
A rural village just outside the town showed original "gassho-zukuri" houses typical of the region, identifable by their triangular thatched roofs.


Anyway, let's talk beef, or as they say here "Wagyu".
How can i put this? If I were a man with an addictive personality, my vice wouldn't be gambling, alcohol or women, but Japanese Beef. You know when you let a put a piece of chocolate in your mouth and let it slowly melt; this is similar to the experience of eating Japanese high-grade beef. Cutting it is like a knife through butter; it's so juicy and tender, it just melts in your mouth. The secret of it's intricate web of fat marbling, which can make it look almost white, is a combination of the type of cow, in this case the Japanese Black cow, and the cow's diet. Let's just say you haven't really tasted beef until you've tasted this stuff. Japan takes beef to another level.

10 comments:

  1. Hey Av,

    How is the beef cooked? Just on its own? Looks yummy.

    Also - is your camera kaput? are these shots taken on your new disposable?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey lis,

    At least one person is reacting to my blog; thanks!

    Yeah the beef is seared like normal steak; It's just more delicious than any steak i've ever eaten; It was worth the ridiculous amount of money i paid for it just for the trial.

    Yeah and my camera is dead; i dropped it once too many. Now i'm on disposables; obvious isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Sam BTW. It's always been me commenting. It just says Johanna as she used my account to set up her own blog ages ago. Lis reads your blog too though.. I think she did leave a comment once about us playing on Brook Green where you did your knee in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep posting though - I'm enjoying the photos and stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not fare to say that no one is following your blog.
    Sometimes we don't have comments to do but it doesn't mean that we don't follow it...
    BTW, the steak description makes us REALLY want to try :-))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good that you are all reading!

    My problem now is developing the photos with disposable cameras; I'll have a couple of stories tomorrow when i pick up the latest disc of photos tomorrow at 7:30 am.

    And Iris, the steak is amazing. I'm sure it's different to south american beef; i suppose it's a different product, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is better. It's just divine and i wish i could afford to eat more, but i've blown my budget.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So spoil your self and eat once more...
    When you will be back in Japan to do that again?
    It's better not to regret ;-)
    If it's as good as you say, I wouldn't think twice!

    eat, eat, eat... hahahahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trust me i've been eating like a pig.
    It's good i've been walking a lot or else i'd be fat by now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahahahaha!!! That's good, no?
    Soon you will be back to the salad country so there is nothing to be worried about ;-)

    BTW, why don't you buy your self a new camera? You are at the country of the technology... Why are you using disposable cameras???

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are all following your blong...even if we are not commenting :)

    ReplyDelete