Fun in the Rising Sun

Conichiwa my dear friends!
Throughout the coming month I will be blogging my way around the weird and wonderful "Land of the Rising Sun", Japan; home of Sushi, Soba, Wasabi, Karate, Judo, Sumo, Honda, Toshiba, Yamaha, the Japanese Spitz, Manga, Geishas, Kamikazi and Hari-Kiri - the list goes on. Oh, and incidentally the birthplace of my friend Hiromasa Sebata, but he's not famous.
Anyway, keep up to date with my adventures right here at "AVY IN JAPAN".
Banzaaaaaaaaaaiiiii!

Monday, May 24, 2010

High Tech Toilets

The Japanese are world-renowed for their advanced technology; electronics, cameras, cars, motorbikes, but it doesn't stop there my friends. When nature calls and you're in Japan, it's much more exciting that in other countries because you're never quite sure what sort of contraption you're gonna encounter.

Some of the questions you might ask are: how many toilet seats will it have, how many buttons will it have and will the instructions be in English. Once I just pushed the buttons one by one until the toilet flushed, obviously with the lid down to prevent an accidental flood.

Before i show you a few examples, I'd just like to point out that i don't make a habit of photographing toilets in my normal life; I'm not some sort of closit "john-spotter". Here is a small sample of the variety of dunnies that you might come across when you've just gotta go in Japan:

There's the one with 2 different sized toilet seats - very practical for the family!


There's the ones with all the buttons for all you gadget freaks. Their functions include making the sound of running water to prevent embarassing pissing noises, and washing out your nether regions from various angles.

Here you can see the instructions on the inside of the lid explaining what the buttons do.


Notice the button panel on the wall; I wonder if one of them will order sushi.


There's the ones with a nice comfy back rest to lessen the impact when you're straining.


And my favourite; the ones with a basin on top which uses the dirty water from your hands to refill the tank for the next flush. Very efficient! This would be great for Israel! When i get back home i'm gonna start a toilet business!

Anyway, who would have thought taking a dump could be like going to a theme park.

No comments:

Post a Comment