Fun in the Rising Sun

Conichiwa my dear friends!
Throughout the coming month I will be blogging my way around the weird and wonderful "Land of the Rising Sun", Japan; home of Sushi, Soba, Wasabi, Karate, Judo, Sumo, Honda, Toshiba, Yamaha, the Japanese Spitz, Manga, Geishas, Kamikazi and Hari-Kiri - the list goes on. Oh, and incidentally the birthplace of my friend Hiromasa Sebata, but he's not famous.
Anyway, keep up to date with my adventures right here at "AVY IN JAPAN".
Banzaaaaaaaaaaiiiii!

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Kamakura with Saeko


I discovered how to meet cute Japanese girls by mistake! Last week, there i was sitting in a sushi restaurant in the Shibuya neighbourhood of Tokyo trying to give my order to a waiter who didn't speak English. Just as our verbal interchange had hit a brick wall a Japanese girl sitting two tables away intervened and saved the day - well at least my lunch. Apparently the waiter was asking me whether i wanted sea weed or mushrooms in my miso soup; turned out it was a good thing he did, as that's how i met Saeko.

From that point we started chatting away and before i knew it Saeko was writing down recommendations about where to find good sushi in Tokyo, once she had caught on to the fact that i was rather keen on the stuff. The next thing i knew she had written down her details and suggested we meet one day; the rest is history my followers.

Yesterday Saeko treated me to a guided tour of a beautiful country town south of Tokyo called Kamakura which houses a number of beautiful buddist temples, one of which, Kencho-Ji, is the oldest Zen Buddist training school in Japan.


In Kamakura I also discovered that, thought Sumo wrestlers are big, they've got nothing on the Buddah. The second largest Buddah image in Japan can be found at Tokotu-in Temple.

Oh, and i just had to confirm that the Buddah had bigger feet than me - European size 567 apparently, US size approximately 2409 - yep his feet are bigger in both continents according to the numbers too - damn!


As the size of the Buddah had given me an inferiority complex, we decided to try and fatten me up with some traditional Japanese cuisine - I didn't know Tofu could taste so good.


Anyway, Thanks Saeko for a great day out!

No comments:

Post a Comment