Fun in the Rising Sun

Conichiwa my dear friends!
Throughout the coming month I will be blogging my way around the weird and wonderful "Land of the Rising Sun", Japan; home of Sushi, Soba, Wasabi, Karate, Judo, Sumo, Honda, Toshiba, Yamaha, the Japanese Spitz, Manga, Geishas, Kamikazi and Hari-Kiri - the list goes on. Oh, and incidentally the birthplace of my friend Hiromasa Sebata, but he's not famous.
Anyway, keep up to date with my adventures right here at "AVY IN JAPAN".
Banzaaaaaaaaaaiiiii!

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Sapporo - Beer and Blossom


No not Paris - that isn't the Eiffel Tower in the background. Sappora my friends - the capital of Hokkaido; a surprisingly large and modern city. Sure it's got some nice views as you can see, but let's not mess around and cut to the chase - Beer! The only true reason to come to Sapporo is on a beer pilgrimage to discover Sapporo "biru" as the Japanese would say.


After an early warm-up at the Sake museum, I was ready for the main event - a visit to the Sapporo Beer Museum and Garden. After learning a few interesting facts about how the Japanese brought beer-making to Japan from Germany in the 1870s, and how beer is actually made from barley and hops (which look like green flower buds), I got down to the nitty gritty - tasting! I hadn't come this far to hold myself back, so i went for the triple tasting - after all, I have the British reputation to uphold. The girls at the bar prepared 3 beautifully presented glasses of different types of Sappora beer; just look at them; make you mouth water don't they!

Let's just say i didn't hand around to admire them for too long:


Three beers and a bag of curry flavoured rice munchies later, the conclusion was that Japan make excellent beer. I take my hat off to them. For a man that is quite fussy when it comes to beer I couldn't falt any of them; this is a nation that excels at most things they put their mind to.

Suitably satisfied with my latest cultural experience, I stumbled out of the museum to find a restaurant. I was advised that the Sapporo beer experience is not complete without tasting a lamb dish known as "Jingisku-Khan", concieved after the Manchurians' failed attempt to conquer Japan. The dish consists of grilled Hokkaido lamb, accompanied of course, with a glass of Sapporo beer; that really hit the spot.


At this point I was sure the day couldn't get any better, but i was wrong. Before I arrived in Japan, I was told that in the spring, the blossoming of the cherry trees is a sight not to be missed. The height of the cherry blossom season is in April, so i was sure i had missed the boat. All was not lost, however, as the further north you go, the colder it gets therefore the later the blossoming starts. Today in Sapporo I caught up with the cherry blossom season and it was truly a feast for the eyes.


Definately one of the best days so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment