Fun in the Rising Sun

Conichiwa my dear friends!
Throughout the coming month I will be blogging my way around the weird and wonderful "Land of the Rising Sun", Japan; home of Sushi, Soba, Wasabi, Karate, Judo, Sumo, Honda, Toshiba, Yamaha, the Japanese Spitz, Manga, Geishas, Kamikazi and Hari-Kiri - the list goes on. Oh, and incidentally the birthplace of my friend Hiromasa Sebata, but he's not famous.
Anyway, keep up to date with my adventures right here at "AVY IN JAPAN".
Banzaaaaaaaaaaiiiii!

Monday, May 10, 2010

Pancake Anyone?


Today the most exciting thing that happend to me was that I cooked and ate my very own Japanese pancake. This proved to be a not altogether straight forward experience, and i don't mean just the pancake part.

Firsty, when i entered the restaurant, I saw two Japanese girls putting their shoes on; when they saw me walk in, they bowed their heads and giggled, and it wasn't because my arms are hairy; they clearly knew something that i didn't. Anyway, I just stood there till a waitress told me, in broken English, to take my shoes off and put them in a plastic bag; this i did, but i wasn't sure where i was supposed to leave the bag; apparently i was supposed to take it with me. She led me to a low Japanese table which had a hot-plate in the middle; that's when i realised why there were a box of plastic fans at the entrance; things could clearly hot up.

I sat on a cushion beside the table, which for an inflexible 32 year old with a history of knee trouble is not as easy as it sounds. As i needed clarification on a couple of the ingredients, I asked the waitress a couple of questions, but unfortunately we were totally lost in translation. Thankfully a Japanese man in the next table offered to translate and after a few English to Japanases to English exchanges, a decision was reached on a suitable pancake.

Eventually i was brought a bowl which contained various ingredients and the waitress just said "Mix!", so i mixed. When she returned she gestured for me to pour the mixture on the hotplate, which i did carefully, but obviously not well enough as she rearraged the mixture so that it was the proper Japanese Pancake shape. After a few minutes of sweating i was told to flip it, at which point the waitress said "4 Minutes".

All i can say is, 4 sweaty minutes later, I understood why this pancake was worth two aching knees, a neck ache and severe over-heating; perfect with a cold Sapporo beer; delicious!

5 comments:

  1. This is a really nice experience!
    The way you tell us the story sounds even more fun and interesting...

    We can see on your face how much you enjoyed the pancake...

    Did you learn how to do it? Good! Cause you will have to make it here too, heheheh ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun;
    I don't know the recipe exactly; I just cooked it; I'm sure i can find a recipe on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what were the ingredients that you opted for? i hope there was at least one rare animal in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah dolfin

    but seriously I opted for the standard beef, but to be honest it wasn't dominant at all cos the Japanese eat meat in small quantities; this would have been delicious completely vegatarian; you would have loved it benny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. history of knee troubles due to a handstand-related incident on Brook Green, Hammersmith, Circa 2001. Its lucky youre even walking ;)

    ReplyDelete